With its distinct coloration and apex predator status, Orcinus orca is one of the most easily recognizable cetaceans on the planet. However, research from all corners of Planet Orca suggests that this species is facing numerous and varied threats. This blog will track the ongoing research and issues, with the conservation actions you can take.

Sunday, September 16, 2012

O-K in the Northern territory


Johnstone Strait has been in my psyche for as long as I can remember. The Northern Residents, the rubbing beaches, the classic scenery of the Pacific Northwest. Though I really didn't have time for a trip  to the north of Vancouver Island, I couldn't leave without visiting. And, after all, the A pod call is my all time favorite - hel-lo.

Nature at its best, does it's own thing, and K-pod was making a somewhat uncustomary traverse through the Strait at the end of my 7-hour ocean voyage. Yes, the whales I'd seen the previous two days out of Sidney. Yes, I saw my first bear and yes I saw Transients, but oh, for A pod, who were lingering up by Telegraph Cove and too far for us on this such brief moment in the life of the leviathans. Hard not to be content with what I saw, and yet, as always with humans, we always want more. Next time A pod.

No comments:

Post a Comment